KAUNAS BIENNIAL UNITEXT 13 09 2013 – 31 12 2013
The 9th Kaunas Biennial UNITEXT will create conditions for immediate collisions of an artwork and a spectator, allowing the experience of art as a universal text. Curators of the exhibition together with artists will pursue a concept that is new and unfamiliar in a cultural context and will consolidate it by presenting practical examples. We will go into the question of a unitext, which is the latest link in work -> text -> intertext -> hypertext -> unitext semiotic chain of a philosophic / art criticism / artistic field.
According to the consistency of this chain the UNITEXT exhibition claims a privilege to present novel ideas about the art at the level of structural and notional revelation. The suggestion is to perceive unitext in this chain as a universal artistic language, which unifies different experiences and concepts. The exhibition will provide a unique voice for each artwork instead of handling this task to explanatory texts. We believe artworks themselves are suggestive, influential and complete enough. We invite artists to present works experiences of which are based on a direct confrontation with an object / space / semantic field.
We invite to present unitexts, which are seen through intuition, materiality, spontaneity, sensuality, feeling, here and now experiences.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS for submission:
- Works submitted for selection must be executed during 2010-2012.
- It is suggested that a cycle, a group of works or an installation would be introduced.
- Project ideas are also acceptable complemented with photos of previously implemented pieces of a similar kind. Photos should represent the materiality, scope and impact of the submitted piece.
An application should consist of:
- An application form DOWNLOAD
- PHOTOS (up to 10 pieces.), 360 dpi, of printable quality, from 2 MB to 5 MB in size
- SCHEME of intended exposition/installation with space and equipment required.
- Artistic CV (1 page max.).
Applications should be submitted until September 15th, 2012, via email: email@example.com
Subject: UNITEXT selection.
Selected artists will be notified via e-mail by October 15th, 2012.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THE EXHIBITION:
THE INTENDED VENUES: The M. K. Čiurlionis National Museum, M. Žilinskas Art Gallery (Nepriklausomybės a. 12), Kaunas Picture Gallery (K. Donelaičio g. 16) Kaunas / Lithuania. Period: 2013 09 13 – 2013 12 31.
- Will provide necessary equipment for installation (except high technologies);
- Will provide Lithuanian and foreign media with information about the participants and the event;
- Will publish a catalogue and provide each participant and cultural institutions of foreign countries (of the participants’ residence) with it. Will upload video material on Biennial’s website www.bienale.lt
- Will provide artists with commendations and guidance in case of applying to various foundations for additional funding for the purpose of participation in the exhibition. Will communicate with the embassies of states that are of participants’ residence for the purpose of an additional support for the participants;
- Will handle unpacking and installation, as well as packing up for the return shipment of the artworks.
- The Grand Prize winner will be invited for a personal exhibition at The Anniversary 10th Biennial in 2015.
The selected artist:
- Will package securely and ship the artworks by August 15th, 2013, for UNITEXT exposition with an explicit description of the installing method or technique;
- Artists will ship artworks at their own expense and will pay customs duties after the exhibition is over;
- Agree that pictures and text information about the artwork and creative background is to be used according to the Biennial needs for the catalogue, press releases, articles on the Biennial (and other) website(s);
- Will, by prior agreement, join the Biennial’s educational program.