KAUNAS BIENNIAL TEXTILE
is organized since 1997. 8th edition of international exhibition was held on 2011.
Organizer: NGO Kaunas Biennial,
Chief Executive: Virginija Vitkienė (CV)
Board members: prof. Laima Oržekauskienė (Chief), prof. Rasa Andriušytė-Žukienė, assoc.prof. Loreta Švaikauskienė, dr. Virginija Vitkienė, assoc.prof.Monika Žaltauskaitė-Grašienė.
We seek to make Kaunas biennial TEXTILE the most significant event for contemporary textile art in Europe, which reflects analytically the art processes currently taking place all over the world, by bringing up the priorities of creative collaboration, openness and democratic relationships in the processes of art creation and its perception.
Kaunas Biennial is a platform and a real opportunity for
- artists’ debates and the realisation of innovative ideas,
- collaboration among artists and visitors,
- the enhancement of the sense of community through creative activities,
- interdisciplinary artistic and academic practices,
- international and intercontinental partnerships and
- the creation of a discursive textile culture.
Every event of the biennial is created from scratch, i.e. by changing the structure, the conditions of participation, the character of exhibitions, the conception, also by involving [new] partners, curators, artists and people working in different areas of culture for a common purpose: communication through the expression of art and creative processes.
The Purpose of the Kaunas Biennial:
- To encourage the dynamics of contemporary textile on the international level; to reveal its possibilities and methods of expression in the areas of visual arts, design, new / high technologies and the relationship to site specific spaces;
- To create and strengthen the image of Kaunas as the city of textile culture by organising one of the most significant exhibitions in Europe and all over the world: an exhibition of conceptual textile art;
- Through educational programmes and collaboration projects to create a discursive environment during the Biennial and ensure maximum access to culture for various age and interest groups in Kaunas.