In the framework of international project NETWORED ENCOUNTERS Kaunas Biennial as organisation is running several special projects inviting artists for new productions related to the main concept of the Biennial:
The 10th edition of the Kaunas Biennial analyses the modes of communication relevant to current technological and sociocultural realities. During past two decades face-to-face intercourses are being replaced by virtual chats, anonymous comments, official e-letters, reports and synthetic computer language with no sense of emotion and intentions of those who are behind the screen. The main aim of the project is to create situations, platforms and spaces for human encounters, to enrich the silent “thread” conversation by voice, sound, common creativity, experiment and self-expressiveness through active participation in exhibitions, performances, sound installations, workshops and residency programmes, memory site project activities and community art events. The interconnections of visual / textile art and music / sound mediums will create unique meeting points and will unite fairly distinct audiences – those of contemporary art and sound / music disciplines as well as the under-represented parts of society from industrial background and environment.
Beside the main exhibition THREADS: A FANTASMAGORIA ABOUT DISTANCE, curated by Nicolas Bourriaud, Kaunas biennial presents several autonomous projects, related to its history, long term aims and local versus global context:
Personal exhibitions by laureates of 9th Kaunas Biennial UNITEXT:
– Audrius Janušonis FOR THE POETS OF KAUNAS
– Silvia Giambrone A TERRIBLE LOVE OF WAR
Community based project by long lasting Kaunas Biennial board and team members:
– Vita Gelūnienė and Ed Carroll FRIENDLY ZONE #6: CABBAGE FIELD
New productions related to specific topic or venue:
– Artūras Morozovas. THE BIRTH OF KIKIMORA
Research based artistic interventions into [post]industrial textile venues TEXT[ILE] ROUTES:
– Psilicone Theatre(LT) and CHUI (HR) performance HAIRY HAIRY MOUTH at Dirbtinas Pluoštas factory
– Installation DIVISION. ADDITION by Konsortium (D): Lars Breuer, Sebastian Freytag, Guido Münch at Drobė factory
– MADE IN KAUNAS by Guda Koster (NL) at Drobė Factory
– WORK’N’FUN by Ignas Maldžiūnas (LT) at Dirbtinis pluoštas factory
– Monika Žaltauskaitė-Grašienė at Dirbtinis pluoštas factory
Analytical text book CONTEMPORARY ART BIENNIAL AS A SITE SPECIFIC EVENT: LOCAL VERSUS GLOBAL
Edited dr. Daiva Citvarienė, texts by Marieke van Hal, Michaela Ott, Lewis Biggs, Eugen Rădescu, Skaidra Trilupaitytė. Interview with Virginija Vitkiene and Nicolas Bourriaud.
Artist Residency Programme, led by Sandra Kazlauskaite, is the co-production of all partner orgisations (LAB852, Arte & Arte, Crafts Council, Kaunas Biennial) running the project NETWORKED ENCOUNTERS.